Tuesday, August 19, 2008

re: AIGA's "Why do you design"

My personal response does not differ much from others'. I'd say it is because I'm obliged to based on some compulsion in the fiber of my being. I agree with the construct of the process, I can't think of anything I would add or substract from it. I'd guess design educators would find this to be a valid and universal summary.
I don't necessarily agree entirely with the quote: “If I’m going to talk about design, that purely arbitrary and immensely human construct, I should say that by design I mean the process both physical and mental by which people give an order to objects, community, environments and behavior.” — Bill Stumpf
How is it arbitrary if its purpose is to create order? Order in this context seems to indicate a very cut and dried scientific like approach to problem solving.
Can disorder be designed? Can there be disorder in a legitimate design process? I'd like to think so.

Source material:
AIGA's why do you design?
More from AIGA

No comments: